We are looking for hardcopy (preferred) or digital images that celebrate natural history and focus on images taken in the wild. Photos should reflect the subject matter and the scene in which it appeared. Photos that have been altered beyond standard optimization (cropping, color contrast, etc.) or images that involve harassment of animals or unlawful destruction of the environment will not be accepted. Please send any questions to Dave Clayton (email@example.com).
CATEGORIES (Please limit your submissions to two photos in each category):
1) Wildlife portraits
2) Biologists in Action: Biologists practicing their craft (on or off the clock)
3) Landscapes and Habitats: photos capturing large-scale biodiversity or habitats of specific relevance to a species.
4) Artistic Interpretation: Beauty unusual or classic as captured by the photographer.
5) Wildlife interactions: (this is pretty wide-open) as long as 2 or more “things” are interacting
Photo captions and the photographer’s name must accompany all submissions (see below).
HOW TO ENTER:
Hard copies can be brought to the registration desk for submission and display. All hard copies must have accompanying name, photo category, and image title to be accepted. Please email your digital images with your name, photo category, and image title to Sir David Clayton Rogue of the Siskiyous at firstname.lastname@example.org the Subject line “SNVB 2017 Photo Contest”
The deadline for submitting digital entries is February 10th at 11:59pm PST. Hard Copies will be accepted at the meeting registration desk until 10 am Thursday March 2nd.
Hardcopies (preferred): Framed or unframed prints at a size large enough to view in detail the features within the print when displayed on a table or stand at arm’s length (typically 8.5″x11″; letter size or larger).
Digital: In order to qualify for the contest all photos submitted must have a resolution of 6 million pixels or greater (6 megapixels) in order to support projection at the banquet. Images need to be GIF, JPG, PNG, or TIFF files. No camera raw files will be accepted. Submissions may be watermarked if desired but should be inconspicuous enough not to interfere with the judging of the photo. Note that depending on the volume of images submitted digital images may be printed on 8.5″x11″ letter size or larger photo paper for display instead of digital projection
Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. Winners will be voted on by attendees during the banquet. All decisions made by the judges are final.
The 2017 Conference attendees will select the Grand Prize Winner’s in each category by popular vote from a pool of images determined by the judging panel. There is a limit of one vote per person.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit. You only grant SNVB the right to show to your photograph at the conference if you are honored by in the contest as an honorable mention, finalist, or grand prize winner.
If your photograph is formally honored by the contest you grant SNVB a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to:
• Use the photograph on the Internet in support of our mission.
• Use the photograph in SNVB’s non-commercial communications.
• Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
• Keep the files provided, and to archive the images on CD or in other electronic or physical forms, so that your photos can be used to support our mission and be properly credited.
As conditions of this permission, The Society for Northwestern Vertebrate Biology shall credit all photographs with the caption “© Person’s Name” when the full name is available.